Wednesday, April 18, 2007

With this ring...

Choosing wedding bands is more than just picking out something that matches one's engagement ring. It is custom that the wedding band be a solid piece of metal, symbolizing the the continuity and strength of the couple's love. No gems are allowed- the love of marriage requires no adornament.

Here are a couple's rings designed by Joshua Edelstein. I have included his commentary.
My friends Marty and Suzanne came to me to design both their wedding rings, although not specifically looking for a matching set. For his wedding ring, my friend Marty chose to have a Hebrew quote from the Song of Songs etched on his ring. מצאתי את שאהבה נפשי (matzati et she'ahavah nafshi) means "I have found the one in whom my soul delights" and is a lovely sentiment frequently used in the context of a wedding; in fact I'd put it on a previous wedding ring only seven months before creating this one.

Suzanne's engagement ring is a simple, beautiful solitaire set in a narrow white gold band, and we wanted to create a design that both complimented and enhanced it. I came up with the idea of using a scalloped-out half-round wire design to create a wider band with lines that were the same width as the band of the engagement ring. The four beaded applique triangles inside the concave surface of the ring are intended to evoke the diamond solitaire.

1 comment:

Moshe said...

Beautiful ring!